Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Final Thoughts Summer 2014

I have made it apparent on all my posts that I am on board with integrating technology in the classroom. Technology is a great way to get away from the bubble test and confusing multiple choice exams. Lets do some research projects using the Internet where there is a wealth of information and resources out there (but lets learn how to do that critically, safety and responsibly). Lets use all the great tools out there that can hit on all the learning styles that students have so that we can reach a broader range of students. Lets use those tools to foster and model creativity in students so they can get the newest and hottest jobs out there. Lets use blogs and social media to open student's minds to other worldly views and work collaboratively with others. During this summer my Technology in Education has taught me so much more than I thought I was going to learn. I feel i have learned too many things to remember so I will use this blog as a reminder to myself on the best things I learned and don't want to forget.

1. Don't do it alone! Use peers, not just at your school site, but around the world. On Twitter teachers unite from all corners of the world.
2. Find the need first and then find the tool (because its out there). Don't just use technology for the sake of using technology.
3. Know the law! So many creative commons licenses and copyright laws are violated, we need to model responsibility and etiquette about online resources.
4. Flipped classrooms. this is something I want to incorporate into at least some of my lessons. I'd like to research this further to see how this could work for me.
5. Best practices. No more death by power point! Pictures are worth a thousand words, so no need for the slides full of text!
6. Google might be king at everything else, but there are better and safer ways for students to research and find creative commons resources.
7. Blogging! I can't wait to integrate blogging into my classrooms. This is a great way for students to relay what they have absorbed from the lessons and learn from each other. A community of learning is a goal in my future classrooms.

Over all I had a great experience in this class. I enjoyed learning something new everyday and putting it to good use right away. I didn't expect to feel this much more prepared to enter a classroom. Maybe its knowing you have the world at your computer screen and an enormous array of tools available to you as your support system that gives new teachers the confidence they need. Signing off...next stop...student teaching!

1 comment:

  1. Megan,
    Throughout the course, you've consistently been a critical thinker about each new idea in the class. While you'll never remember all we've done, you have (and I know will use) the new skills you've acquired to revisit those ideas and add too them. All the best as you continue on your teaching career path.

    ReplyDelete