Tuesday, July 8, 2014

About Me

“A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite imagination, and instill a love of learning.”-Brad Henry
    

      My name is Megan Ballachey. I am a mother of three beautiful girls, a wife, and a student of education. I was born in Long Beach, California and have lived here in California all my life. As a very young child I attended Roch Courreges Elementary School in Fountain Valley. Apparently I was very bright as a child so in elementary school I was in a gifted child program. I often like to reflect on the fact that my first grade teacher was Mrs. Good and my second grade teacher was Mrs.Wright. I like to muse they started my
Picture of Megan Ballachey
academic career off on the right foot. When I was ten years old my family moved to the city of Corona and I spent the rest of my childhood there. I attended Stallings Elementary from grades 3 through 6. It was in 6th grade when I had the opportunity to be a student of an exemplary teacher. My 6th grade teacher was fun, creative, invested, enthusiastic about learning and innovative in his teaching craft. It was Mr. Sweet that showed me a different way to learn, a way to be involved in events and activities in the community and a way to dream big.He taught me to be enthusiastic about what you are doing, to think outside the box and to always try to excel in everything you take on. I then attended middle school at Corona Fundamental Intermediate School. For my high school career I was a proud Husky at Centennial High School in Corona, California. In high school I entered into an honors program and at every chance I got, took on an extra science class. Instead of art I chose marine biology, while my friends were in ceramics I was in anatomy. I tallied up 6 years’ worth of science classes. I had always known I loved science, since I was a child. Other kids had imaginary friends as children and I had my life plan which involved me being a scientist. Okay maybe that’s a little too far, but you get the picture. After high school I attended California State University of San Bernardino and received my Bachelor's Degree in Biology. When I say it like that it sounds simple, like I just went out and got it. The truth is I struggled for my degree because while I was focused and invested in my education I also had a life. I became a wife and a mother while in college and being mommy became my first priority. I took off several years before finally going back at the age of 30 to finish my degree.It was important to have my children see me graduate because I wanted them to learn that you can do whatever you put your mind to and to not give up when life throws you a curve ball. Because of my children, great teachers, and my love of learning I decided to enter into a career of teaching and I am so excited to get into a classroom and start this new part of my life. I would love to make an impact on kids and can't wait to teach them all the reason why I love science and love what I do.
     What I find of particular importance is to prepare students for college and the technological age. I believe it is important to teach to the future, not the current. This is an age of technology an age where the newest cell phone is outdated by the time it hits the shelf. Students need to not only be prepared to successfully live in this tech age regardless of economic status, they need to be able to contribute and progress technology even further. I plan to stay on the cutting edge of technology and what is being expected of students in the college classrooms. During my classroom observation hours I have seen students at the high school level capable of web page building and power point presentations and I hope to have the technology and more available to my students. It is my belief that there is a change brewing in the teaching field and it has to do with the technical age we are living in. We are seeing a change in that the students don’t need to be taught things that they can just type into Google. When speaking to the teachers in the field in my classroom observations about this, I find that they are in agreement. I believe students need to be taught the love of learning, to be lifetime learners, to challenge and think critically about information they find, how to verify and gather facts while excluding opinions and biases.
     In the Fall I will be attending California State University of San Marcos's Single Subject Credential Program in order to gain a teaching credential in biology. When I read the mission statement for this program there are a couple of things that stand out to me. The mission statement says that the school aims to "advance innovative, student-centered practices". To me, this is of utmost importance because I believe teaching should be centered around the students. Lessons should reflect the various ways that students learn. Students should be able to relate new material to previous knowledge and real life experiences. I feel that in order to engage students teachers need to be innovative in how they present the material to the class. Another statement that stands out in the mission statement of the School of Education at CSUSM is "inspire reflective teaching and learning". If we don't stop and reflect about what and how we are teaching, how can we know if it is effective? I plan on being the type of teacher that stops and analyzes my own teaching practice. It is a great practice to stop and check in with yourself now and again in not just with teaching and learning but in life in general. These statements found in the mission statement of the school are a great surprise. While they had no bearing on my decision to go into this program, I am even more confident now in my choice to attend the School of Education at California State University of San Marcos because it seems like it will be a great fit for me.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, what an inspiration you are! I couldn't imagine having three children and going to school, I don't have any children and being a full time student was still a struggle for me. That is great that you had so many amazing and influential teachers in your life. Personally, I had teachers on both ends of the spectrum. Amazing and dedicated individuals and then the lazy tenure, counting down the days until they are able to retire teachers which all served as an inspiration and a source of motivation when ultimately deciding to pursue a career in teaching.
    I like how you pointed out that we need to teach to the future not the current. What an interesting idea. I feel like phrase should be embraced in all subjects not just in a technology aspect. The world is constantly changing and it is our job to ensure that our students are educated and prepared.
    Like you, the section regarding reflective teacher also stood out to me. How can we improve or expect our students to improve is we don't take time to stop and reflect on what we are doing? I believe that in order to be a successful teacher we must always reflect on what we are doing and make changes when necessary.

    Thank you for sharing your story with me! I look forward to working with you this coming semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “I plan on being the type of teacher that stops and analyzes my own teaching practice.” --Megan Ballachey

    I agree with your statement Megan,

    I plan on doing an inventory on my teaching practice as well. I ran into many smart people who knew their material extremely well but for some strange reason he/she was a lousy teacher, and I don’t want to end up like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a busy, dedicated bee you are!

    It's funny how teachers seem to make all the difference in a child's life. Even if you aren't thinking about it...if you try and recall, you can really see what an impact they have done to change the way you think. Because being a teacher isn't just teaching lessons from a curriculum. It's about life lessons as well! And it sounds like you had some amazing elementary school teachers who knew that!

    Since you're going into the high school level, I think it is worth mentioning that I had a high school that actually offered electives quarterly. And one of these mandatory electives was actually a class on how to build websites and use Photoshop and put together a video project using different recordings that we had to film, and filters and transitions, and overlaying music....it sounds so complicated, but it was a class worth having at the high school level. Because not every one knows how to do those things! Like we learned in class the first day- just because you're young doesn't mean you know how to use a computer. :) It would be fun to implement a course like that at high schools here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan,
    I enjoyed reading your "About Me" post. It is really impressive that you have three kids and that you graduated with a Biology degree. That is a lot of determination and I am sure your kids have learned a lot from you. It makes me excited that you love science because I love science as well. Even though I was a liberal studies major at my school (Elementary Education), I took many science classes. I had a concentration in Physical Science. I got the opportunity to take General Chemistry with a lab, which is something that people in my major didn't have to take. I took this class because I love science. I think it is important to have a passion for science because I have heard so many stories from high school and middle school students about not liking science. If students see that their teacher has a love for science, then I believe that the students will develop a love for science as well.
    I agree with when you talked about the importance of reflecting on teaching and learning. One of the main things I learned while I was in college these past four years was the importance of always looking back on what you just taught or just learned and reflecting on it. In my education classes, we learned that there is always something we can improve on when we teach and something more that we can learn. Reflection is so important because we can look back on what we taught and see what went well and what needs improvement. I loved getting to know a little about you, and look forward to getting to know you more.
    -Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan, congratulations on pursuing your education and goals while at the same time staying focused on your family. I completely understand how difficult that can be. You are coming into being a science educator at a time when women in science are a hot-ticket. So many girls have felt less successful or interested in math and science that organizations are looking to turn that around. I'd recommend talking to your Science professors, credential teachers, and those at the school sites you work in about programs to help all students, but especially girls see themselves in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) careers. There are grant opportunities out there, if you can get some folks to work on a program with you. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adina,
    Thank you so much for the kind words and your advice. I am extremely interested in boosting the female numbers in the science field. I have never really thought of myself as an especially political person or involved in special extracurricular programs, but as I envision myself as a teacher I feel that I will be going in that direction. I feel strongly about empowering young women to be anything they want to be so I can see this would be something I would be passionate enough to spend invest my time in. I have to tell you, it feels good to just have a passion to create a new way of thinking about how you are going to live your life and give back to the community. On a smaller level, I have been toying with the idea of an after school girls science club. It sounds so geeky and visions of pigtails, glasses and braces comes to mind, but with how the world is shifting today I know that I can make it empowering and fun! I am looking forward to getting a start on my credential program in the fall and taking your advice about grants available to advancing women in STEM careers. This could be great for me and my future girls club ;)

    ReplyDelete